Updated: Jan 21
pantryBamboo is an extremely popular product in kitchen and pantry organisation, for its aesthetics, and environmental benefits. Its becoming increasingly known as a great eco-friendly and sustainable alternative to other materials within your home.
When looking to be a little more environmentally conscious, Eco-friendly bamboo is an ideal place to start. Following the popularity of our glass and bamboo herb and spice jars, we’ve we’ve come to know a little more about this amazing plant (well, its actually a grass!). Bamboo is one of the most environmentally friendly substances you can get your hands on. Here are 5 great reasons to replace other materials in your home with bamboo:
1. Bamboo the fastest growing and most sustainable plant in the world – growing at 00002 miles per hour makes, even growing 1 meter a day is not uncommon (Thats around 3.8cm per hour!). It starts growing again, as soon as it’s cut down. This makes Bamboo Eco-friendly, it renewable and sustainable.
2. Bamboo provides 35% more oxygen than for an equal area than trees. In just 1 year, 2.5 acres of bamboo can absorb up to 12 tons of carbon dioxide. This can help fight climate change. The worlds largest area of bamboo is - absorbs more than 10,000,000 tons of carbon dioxide a year. Once you cut down and then use bamboo, carbon is reduced as it is locked in.
3. Bamboo is stronger than steel. It is often used in place of steel to reinforce concrete. The tensile strength is extreme. It can endure being smashed better most concrete. When using a bamboo products in your home, you can expect this to last a long time. A bamboo toothbrush is likely to last as long as the plastic equivalent and can be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
4. Organically grown without chemical fertilizers and pesticides. All it needs for food are the leaves that fall, becoming a circular process. It grows from its roots, it doesn’t need to be commercially sown and cared for in the intense ways associated with other crops. It doesn’t ever need to be replanted.
5. Bamboo-Kun is a bio-agent which resists microbes that could destroy it, it is a plant that has a natural resistance to pest, bacteria and fungi infestation. These anti-bacterial properties mean it’s great for fabrics, household and beauty products such as our own benchtop combo. As well as being eco-friendly, it offers health benefits.